Secret Service shoots armed man after 'confrontation' near White House

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #16067

    William
    Participant

    Secret Service shoots armed man after ‘confrontation’ near White House

    Secret Service personnel shot an armed man near the White House early Sunday, hours after obtaining information that a suicidal man might be traveling to Washington, D.C., from Indiana, authorities said.

    Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement that the shooting took place “following an armed confrontation” with law enforcement.

    The statement said Secret Service members found the man’s parked vehicle around midnight and saw a man on foot matching the description nearby.

    “As officers approached, the individual brandished a firearm and an armed confrontation ensued, during which shots were fired by our personnel,” the statement said.

    The suspect was taken to an area hospital and his condition was not immediately available, the statement said. No other injuries were reported. President Donald Trump was out of town, according to the White House schedule.

    The incident was under investigation by the Metropolitan Police Department Internal Affairs Division’s Force Investigations Team, which investigates all law enforcement officer-involved shootings in the District of Columbia.

    Last month a man attempted to scale White House fence
    The shooting comes a month after a man was taken into custody after attempting to scale the White House South Lawn fence. On Feb. 3, at around 4:20 p.m., Secret Service officers responded to reports of someone climbing an outer fence along the South Grounds of the White House.

    Video posted on social media showed the man, clad in black, climbing to the top of the fence as dogs on White House grounds run toward the fence. The men slid back down on the outside of the fence as officers arrive, put him on the ground, cuff him and take him into custody.

    Trump was in the White House that day.

    Secret Service led by agent who protected Trump
    The agency came under intense scrutiny after a failed assassination attempt at a July rally in Pennsylvania that wounded Trump, killed one rallygoe and seriously wounded two others before the gunman was fatally shot. Multiple investigations into the Secret Service response to that shooting faulted the agency for failing to stop a “preventable” attack.

    In January, Trump picked the head of his personal security detail – who rushed to protect him during the assassination attempt – to lead the Secret Service. Sean Curran was among the agents who leaped up to protect Trump after a bullet grazed his ear.

    “Sean is a Great Patriot, who has protected my family over the past few years, and that is why I trust him to lead the Brave Men and Women of the United States Secret Service,” Trump said in a statement announcing Curran’s selection to the post.

    0

    0
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.