Prince Harry 'in shock' after quitting AIDS charity founded in Princess Diana's

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #16140

    William
    Participant

    Prince Harry ‘in shock’ after quitting AIDS charity founded in Princess Diana’s honor

    Prince Harry said he was “in shock” after quitting as a patron of Sentebale, a British charity he set up to help young people with HIV and AIDS in Lesotho and Botswana, following a conflict between trustees and the chair of the board.

    Harry co-founded Sentebale in 2006 in honor of his mother, Princess Diana, nine years after she was killed in a Paris car crash. Sentebale means “forget-me-not” in the local language of Lesotho in southern Africa.

    Co-founder Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, as well as the board of trustees, joined Harry in leaving Sentebale following a leadership dispute with chair Sophie Chandauka, a Zimbabwe-born lawyer who has refused to step down and sued the charity in order to retain her position, according to The Times. Britain’s Charity Commission confirmed to the outlet on Tuesday that an investigation is underway.

    The princes have resigned “in support of and solidarity” with the board of trustees, who had acted in the best interests of the charity in asking the chair to step down, the joint statement said.

    Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
    “It is devastating that the relationship between the charity’s trustees and the chair of the board broke down beyond repair, creating an untenable situation,” the statement continued.

    “Nearly 20 years ago, we founded Sentebale in honour of our mothers. Sentebale means ‘forget-me-not’ in Sesotho … and it’s what we’ve always promised for the young people we’ve served through this charity,” Harry and Seeiso said in a joint statement obtained by United Kingdom news outlets Sky News and The Times.

    Harry, who lives in California with his wife, Duchess Meghan, and their two children, stopped working as a member of the royal family in 2020. He has been heavily involved in causes in Africa for many years and visited Nigeria last year.

    “What’s transpired is unthinkable. We are in shock that we have to do this, but we have a continued responsibility to Sentebale’s beneficiaries, so we will be sharing all of our concerns with the Charity Commission as to how this came about,” the statement added. “Although we may no longer be Patrons, we will always be its founders, and we will never forget what this charity is capable of achieving when it is in the right care.”

    0

    0
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.